Friday, March 28, 2008

A yummy piece of art

I volunteered to bring a cake to a church function in March. I thought it was the perfect chance to make a 3 tiered cake covered in fondant- something I've been wanting to do for a long time. There's no way my family could eat a 3 layer cake! The process started out difficult since I had so many ideas I wanted to try! First I had to narrow down what I was going to do. Not just how the outside of the cake looked, but what flavors I was going to use inside. Here's what I decided: white fondant with black swirls and roses on top for some color. The bottom layer was chocolate cake with pistachio filling. The middle layer was a sour cream white almond cake with strawberry and buttercream filling. The top layer was sour cream white almond cake with chocolate hazelnut filling. Each flavor got rave reviews and depended on the person's taste which one they liked best. The recipe for the sour cream white almond cake I got from Recipe Zaar and it was one of the best cakes I've made. The texture wasn't fly-away-light like you get from a mix. It had a great texture and flavor! Here's the link if you want to try it. http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

This was only my second attempt at working with fondant. I used the easy MMF recipe again. (recipe at: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-2-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html) I took a few pictures as I was putting the cake together. I still need to work on leveling but it didn't turn out too bad.


Here's a picture of it stacked with the fondant.

Now I just needed to add the scrolls, ribbon and roses. I was going to use an impression mat to help guide me on my scrolls, but it didn't work out too well so I used a toothpick and free-handed my scrolls before I piped them on with royal icing. I added a ribbon around the base of each layer to match the roses. Then I just stuck the roses in the top and I was done. I took me about 5 hours just to put the cakes together and decorate them. I had made the frosting, fondant, cakes and fillings previously so I'm not sure how long total it took me. Not a quick project but it was fun to do and see the end result. They used the cakes as center pieces on the tables. What do you think?




1 comment:

One Sassy Mama said...

You have got to share your fondant tips at an enrichment--your cakes are darling!